Submission Form can be found at the bottom of the page.
1. Competition Description
Matsuri Sydney is calling for entries from all of Australia to take part in our 2017 Mascot Design Competition. We would like to invite participants aged 16 and above to come up with their own mascot designs that will inspire others to take part in our Matsuri.
We are searching for original, energetic designs that authentically capture the culture of the Matsuri and will be able to effectively promote the Matsuri spirit. We encourage all participants to incorporate this year’s theme, ‘taiken – experience’, into their design.
The deliverables of this competition are a mascot design and a description introducing the concept behind the character.
2. Competition Prize
The design of the winner of the mascot competition will:
▪ Become the official Matsuri mascot for the 2017 Matsuri in Sydney.
▪ Be printed on merchandise such as the website, T-shirts, brochures, etc. (Refer to the T&C for more detail).
▪ Be acknowledged on the Matsuri website.
3. Design Criteria:
▪ A category of mascot characters that are characterised as cute and unsophisticated, often incorporating motifs that represent culture related to the promoted event.
▪ 2D illustration – designed on computer or hand drawn.
▪ Practical if worn as a costume
▪ Colour scheme
▪ Focus on warmer tones – refer to the Matsuri logo on the website: https://matsurisydney.com/
▪ Make sure it’s original work! (no “tracing” either – nothing that infringes copyright).
▪ G-rated and safe-for-work.
▪ Digital upload requirements (in section 4).
▪ Entry Submission Requirements:
▪ Maximum 1 entry per person.
4. Upload criteria
▪ Format: JPG/JPEG files.
▪ Max file size: 2MB (for website gallery purposes).
▪ Dimensions: For web page upload, as long as it fits the file size requirement
▪ Link to a much larger print-friendly image.
▪ At least 1600×2800, preferably higher, or vector, if possible.
▪ Note: 2000×3500 is optimal.
▪ A description/abstract introducing the character and its design.
5. Competition Period
▪ The competition will be divided into two stages:
5.1. The initial stage:
▪ Participants submit their designs through the Matsuri website. The submission deadline is 11:59pm on 30/09/2017. The top 10 entries will be decided by the Matsuri team and published in a gallery on the Matsuri website on 05/10/2017.
5.2. The second stage:
▪ The public will be able to vote for their favourite designs out of the top 10 on the Matsuri website between 05/10/2017 and 19/10/2017.
▪ The winning design will be announced on 26th October and contacted by email/phone.
▪ Over the age of 16. Participants under the age of 18 must have permission of their parent or guardian to enter the competition.
▪ Resident of Australia.
7. Competition Winner
▪ The winners will be notified by phone & in writing by email within 4 working days of the judging.
▪ The first winning placed entry selected from all eligible entries received during the promotion will be declared the winner and will win the right to have their entry used as a mascot representing the Japanese Matsuri Sydney and any associated entities.
▪ The Promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into unless entries have breached the Terms & Conditions.
Terms and conditions:
▪ Matsuri in Sydney Inc. shall not be obligated to use your entry in any manner other than for the competition purposes. From hereon out in the T&S, Matsuri in Sydney Inc. will be thereby labelled, “Matsuri Sydney”.
▪ By submitting an entry, you thereby release Matsuri Sydney, its parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and each of their employees, from any and all liability with respect to, or in any way arising from (i) your entry, or (ii) Matsuri Sydney’s use of your entry, your Personal Information, or your image, voice or appearance, pursuant to these Competition Rules. You agree to never sue or assert any claim against the Matsuri Sydney for any use of your entry, Personal Information or your image, or appearance, pursuant to these Competition Rules.
▪ You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Matsuri Sydney from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against Matsuri Sydney due to or arising out of your entry or Matsuri Sydney’s use of your entry, including claims for trademark infringement, copyright infringement, violation of an individual’s right of publicity or of privacy, or defamation.
Competitor warrants that any entry submitted to the competition is their own original work entirely and does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any other person.
▪ Matsuri Sydney reserves the right to exclude any entrant or any entries which it deems to be offensive or improper in any way at its sole discretion. Matsuri Sydney is in no way obliged to use any entry and reserves the right to reject participation upon suspicion of foul play and usage of the Competition.
6. Use of entries by Promoter
▪ All entries become the property of the Promoter. All entries will be entered into a database and the Promoter may use the entrants’ names, phone numbers and the winners’ names and photographs for future promotional, marketing and publicity purposes in any media worldwide without notice and without any fee being paid.
7. Privacy and use of Personal Information
Matsuri in Sydney will have full ownership of all designs submitted by participants as part of the competition. Modifications may be made to the design, however they will be discussed with the designer.
9. Non-transferable prizes
▪ Prizes include: Mascot design on the website, brochure, ‘uchiwa’.
▪ All prizes are non-transferable. No cash alternative is available for any prize. The choice of the prizes shall be solely at Matsuri Sydney’s discretion;
▪ Matsuri Sydney arranges this Competition in good faith but cannot accept any liability relating to prizes offered.
10. Change of Terms
▪ Matsuri Sydney reserves the right to change any term of the Competition any time with or without any cause. This Competition is void wherever prohibited by law.
▪ If you have any questions regarding the Competition Rules, you may contact us in writing at email@example.com.
▪ By entering the Competition, you confirm that you have read and agreed to be bound by these Competition Rules and the Terms and Services outlined by Matsuri Sydney.
Please use the below form to submit your artwork!
(All fields are required.)
[contact-form-7 id=”492″ title=”Mascot design comp entry form”]
If any errors are encountered during submission, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the above details.